Single use plastic ban comes into force as Welsh Government strives to reach net zero
A number of singles use plastics have been banned from being supplied in Wales. The move follows a Welsh Government commitment to ‘embed our response to the climate and nature emergency in everything we do’
The purpose of the new law is to reduce the flow of plastic pollution into our environment by prohibiting the supply of certain single-use plastic products.
The following items are now banned from being sold across the country:
- Single-use plastic plates
- Single-use plastic cutlery
- Single-use plastic drinks stirrers
- Cups made of expanded or foamed extruded polystyrene
- Takeaway food containers made of expanded or foamed extruded polystyrene
- Single-use plastic balloon sticks
- Single-use plastic-stemmed cotton buds
- Single-use plastic drinking straws (exemptions for those who need them to eat and drink safely and independently)
Become a member
Benefit from early access to content, support in hosting your own events and more with a Public Health Network Cymru membership.